Friday, April 29, 2011

Keep On Lovin'

I have been hurt by people that I love. I have been let down but those that I care deeply about.

After it happens a couple times, it feels as though you've gone numb. You don't care about others anymore because others didn't care about you. But what happens in the aftermath? We have two choices: we can give up and let ourselves be numb or we can forgive and gain something from the experiences of our lives.

"God will strengthen you with his own great power so that you will not give up when troubles come, but you will be patient." (Colossians 1:11)

Life isn't always perfect and we can't expect the people around us to be either. I believe that there is a place that I can go where I will be strengthened. We can't put all our hope in others; think of how unfair that is to have all those expectations placed on your shoulders. However, what we can do is realize that there is a greater strength within ourselves that is much more powerful than anything a person can ever give us.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." (Psalm 139:14)

What I am beginning to realize is that I find my strength in God when I learn to love myself as the wonderful creation he has made me. So many times, I go looking for love in others to make myself feel as though I am worthy in the world's eyes. They are many times when I feel low because I have no one around me, and while it is important to have relationships with others, we need to realize that our self-worth doesn't come from our relationships. It comes from within, everything that God has already given us to become the beautiful people we are meant to be.

"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive and the Lord forgives you." (Colossians 3:13)

One thing you can't forget, after getting past the hurt and finally learning to really love yourself is that you need to forgive others, because I guarantee you would want them to forgive you when you mess up. Forgiving those that you have loved and been hurt by means realizing that we as humans are not perfect. It also means that you realize that you cannot rest everything on one person because that isn't where we are suppose to rest everything upon. When you can do this, you'll find that loving isn't so hard to do and keep on doing.

This is a lesson that I have learned today. That everyone around me can't be my crutch. We need to love others for who they are and love ourselves for who we are. That's good enough. God believes your good enough. And that's all that matters.


-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment