Monday, April 18, 2011

It's time to share

I'm so excited for my easter break coming up. I really need this one. While I'm taking a break from homework, I wanted to share a piece of poetry that I just wrote for my creative writing class. I hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think. Comments always make me smile :)


I Remember, Mama

I remember twirling with the Rosas, Mama
            each of us rising up from the earth
            my petticoats spread out in full bloom
            just like my flowery friends
I remember how I hurt you, Mama
            stealing my petticoats from the closet
            knowing they were meant for Sunday
            knowing he would be mad
I remember the anger that night, Mama
            watching you fall towards me in synchronized grace
            with the white rubble of a broken wall
            guilt rose up within me
I remember how he cried, Mama
            limp in your lap while he begged for absolution
            you folded your arms around him
            and he pushed you down, Mama
            and you sunk back into the ground

I remember running through the fields, Mama
            surrounded by bright crimson Castillejas
             strangling everything around them
            pushing them back and killing them
I remember looking at the purple neck, Mama
            Daddy had painted it
            shoving his fingers into your soft flesh
            pushing you down
I remember picking flowers that day, Mama
            each delicate blossom begging for its life
            while we ripped them from their roots
            we took them from the earth
I remember when he called, Mama
             you pleading with him one last time
            while he scream through the phone
            ripping you from your roots
I tried to push up through the ground, Mama
            just like our flowers did
            but I couldn’t
            our flowers were limp in their glass shell
            their blossoms withered and black
           
I remember watching the snow fall, Mama   
            each flake a frozen droplet
            that had fallen from your face
            piling in heaps everywhere
I remember feeling so lonely, Mama
            running everywhere
            looking for the only friends I had
            wishing to see they faces
I remember brushing your tears away, Mama
            my little companions frozen
            into skeletons of what had been
            and I screamed in agony
I remember falling into your tears, Mama
            you and me falling in synchronized grace
            I wanted your tears
             to swallow me up
            and let me rot into the earth

I remember how spring finally came, Mama
            I sat upon the window sill
             waiting
             to rise up from the earth
I remember that you grab my hand, Mama
            begging me to come
            but I couldn’t
            I hadn’t risen
I remember you picking me up, Mama
            my tears soaking your dress
            that was covered in flowers
            while you dragged me from my perch
I remember you setting me down, Mama
            letting my toes sink into the earth
            pulling my hands away from your skirt
            while you pushed me forward
I remember that’s when I saw them, Mama
            the Liliums were everywhere
            smiling at me,
            They wanted me to rise
                        Oh, how I wanted to rise, Mama
I remember the tears falling down my face, Mama
            sprinkling down like heavenly rain
            watering the Liliums pushing up in the earth
            telling them to rise
I remember how those tears made me feel, Mama
            they sprinkled down on me
            watering my soul
            whispering to me
                        They wanted me to rise, Mama
Then you grabbed my hand, Mama
            I looked at you
            you were watering your soul too
            I knew you wanted to rise
                        Oh, how I wanted you to rise, Mama
Now I know, Mama
            there was something deep within myself
            bursting through the earth
            unfolding into new life
                        and I rose
                        I rose with you, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment